Supply Chain Process ManagerSupply Chain Process Manager
Return to Previous Page
Corning is the world leader in specialty glass and ceramics, creating and manufacturing keystone components that enable high-technology systems.
Corning's history is filled with breakthrough technologies that have played an important role in the way the world works. We thrive on solving difficult, commercially relevant problems through an innovative and collaborative research and development process. Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, more than 160 years of materials science and process engineering knowledge, and a distinctive collaborative culture.
Corning Life Sciences brings new and innovative laboratory tools to researchers. Our core technical competencies include polymer science, biochemistry and molecular biology, glass melting and forming, surface modification, and characterization science. As part of Corning Incorporated, we are a world leader in specialty glass and have a 150-year tradition of innovation.
We are committed to meeting customers' unique and changing needs with original solutions for today's emerging life sciences technologies. Our dedication to quality, technology and innovation has enabled us to produce the world's most comprehensive line of laboratory tools for life science research. Corning Life Sciences also offers custom capabilities such as special packaging, bar coding, and printed lot numbers, to meet specific customer requirements
To know more about Corning Life Sciences, visit us at: of Position:
To lead, manage, plan, and execute all aspects of Union City, CA distribution center for the Life Sciences Division. This includes both the warehouse floor operations and the warehouse office operations and includes processes such as receiving, putaway, releasing, picking, packing, shipping, carrier coordination and other processes related to the distribution center. Ensure quality, service and cost targets are met. Ensure processes are executed consistently and policies and rules are strictly adhered to. Drive continuous improvement in the warehouse operations and customer services. Ensure effective cross functional collaboration with Customer Service, Planning, Finance, interco operations (e.g. Amsterdam, WuJiang, Japan), etc. Provide the necessary training, tools and skills so that each team member can be effective. Responsible for making decisions regarding warehouse/distribution management and Customer Services on both immediate and longer term needs. Manage the overall environmental, health and safety of the warehouse.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
* Create and communicate the vision and mission of the Union City Distribution Center.
* Establish and lead a culture focused on customers, quality, service and cost with continuous improvement.
* Effectively integrate and communicate with CLS business teams and other functions to realize business strategies.
* Effectively lead the development and implementation of continuous improvement in processes, work rules, teamwork, etc. Effectively communicate changes and improvement throughout the organization.
* Develop and track key metrics related to the performance of the distribution center. This includes maintaining a balanced scorecard to support Global Supply Chain and Division Vital Few.
* Effectively communicate warehouse performance, key initiatives, issues, and changes to key stakeholders.
* Effectively manage the distribution center budget to stay within target. Participate in Green Book and Black Book planning to establish targets.
* Lead the annual development of an Union City Supply Chain vital few scorecard linked to division and global supply chain vital few and drive executive with metrics tracking
* Lead the development and execution of the distribution center cost reduction portfolio with linkage to 5-year planning and annual budgets.
* Determine appropriate levels of staffing based on volume and customer requirements to meet quality, service and cost targets.
* Contract employees and temporary workers as needed for the Distribution Center.
* Ensure effective supervision of all distribution center personnel.
* For direct reports, establish and manage by MBO's, conduct regular 1:1s, and performance reviews. Support warehouse supervisor(s) to ensure this is done for all warehouse employees.
* Lead succession planning and talent reviews for distribution center personnel. Establish and manage learning and development plans for key individuals.
Supply Chain Operations:
* Work with warehouse supervisor and management team to lead the distribution center operations - both incoming receipts and outgoing shipments including full truckload, LTL, sea containers and parcel and courier deliveries. Ensure efficient order releasing, shipping accuracy, effective incoming container planning, minimize shipping backlog and meet customers' service requirements.
* Effectively collaborate with the intercompany distribution centers (e.g. Amsterdam, WuJiang, Japan) on shipment planning, discrepancy and issue resolution and improvement initiatives.
* Continuously improves the cycle time and cost for processing orders and shipments to Corning's customers.
* Provide the controls to maintain accurate inventories, using cycle counting, etc.
* Maintain documentation of warehouse processes, procedures and policies. Conduct regular reviews of these and assess opportunities for improvements in cost, quality and service. Establish measurements to monitor proper execution of these processes, procedures and policies.
* Ensure employees (warehouse, customer service and others as needed) are properly trained in global trade compliance with documented procedures in place to ensure compliance; maintain ongoing awareness of new and changing requirements.
* Work interactively with the global supply chain team in the continual improvement of the supply chain. Reduce lead time, cost and asset investment.
* Maintain subject matter expertise in CLS distribution processes and systems.
* Maintain current knowledge of supply chain trends, technologies, and best practices.
* Establish and maintain a high level of motivation on the team; lead a customer focused mentality with that is highly responsive to customers and maintains a high standard of service with accountability to goals
* Maintain documentation of customer service processes, procedures and policies. Ensure all customer service employees are properly trained and regularly certified on knowledge of all policies, procedures and systems. Establish measurements to monitor proper execution of these processes, procedures and policies.
* Ensure all policies and procedures are Sarbox compliant and maintain proper documentation to support audits.
* Plan and manage proper resource allocations to most effectively support the business strategies and customer demand.
* Establish and manage customer relationships to ensure service and performance excellence.
* Ensure appropriate services with optimized service levels to all channels
* Ensure supply chain team maintains detailed understanding of customer service requirements with regular update process to ensure currency.
* Lead cross functional collaboration between warehouse, customer service and other functions to ensure effective communication; establish joint objectives & metrics to ensure alignment.
* Establish and lead collaborative working forums to facilitate effective cross functional teams.
* Expand customer service capabilities through technology, people & skill development and process and organization
* Maintain good housekeeping conditions in working areas and observe local, national, global and Corning specific environment, health and safety regulations and practices in daily work.
* Use knowledge of security, health and safety procedures to develop policies and practices to ensure safety and security for employees and goods and a safe and healthy environment on site.
* Ensure effective management of the Environmental, Health and Safety programs and rules for the warehouse. This includes making sure all appropriate programs and controls are in place, well communicated and understand, enforced and continually improved. Lead the completion of action items from EHS inspections, risk assessments and audits.
* Establish the vision and strategy for the Union City distribution center that enables the commercial and manufacturing strategies and provides the optimal service at the lowest cost.
* Define and implement a supply chain organization structure that effectively delivers on the Union City supply chain mission and strategy.
* Implement inventory control procedures and optimize the use of the Sage 100 ERP to minimize inventory adjustments.
* Work with the customer service manager to establish a rigorous and comprehensive ongoing training program for the customer service team.
* Conduct benchmarking of other Corning customer service groups and external best practices to identify opportunities for improvement; define short/long term improvement plans based on learnings.
* Review current business processes and identify areas of improvement. Implement for efficiencies and improvement.
* Lead the understanding and use of Performance Excellence tools and methodology in the warehouse operations.
Job Title: Supply Chain Process Manager
Reference Number: 171625
Required Education: Bachelor's degree required, concentration in supply chain management
Required Years and Area of Experience: 10 years
* Strong Leadership Skills
* Project and Process Management skills and hands on experience both as team member and leader.
* Strong understanding of supply chain and warehouse management concepts, processes, systems, tools and metrics.
* Understand and apply warehouse and inventory control procedures in accordance with company policy.
* Strong problem solving skills including working effectively across functions and locations.
* Conflict management
* Results driven
* Master's Degree
* ERP Systems knowledge
Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
* Good verbal and written communication skills
* Strong listening skills
* Organized and able to multi-task